Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Digital Portraits (Cassy)

Original


The original photo was taken in the foyer. I tried to get lighting from the overhead sky lights, it turned out best on her cheek and forehead. The angle was also an attempt to capture different lighting and to avoid the basic "mug shot' type photo. I left some background so that once I was back on the computer I would be able to play around with the cropping. As you can see I chose to crop the majority of the background and a bit of Cassy.

Black and White


After changing the original to black and white I cropped most of the right side and top of the image to focus more on the focal point (Cassy). I wanted to leave the tree on the left to have some other details in the image. The lighting effects mostly are not noticeable in this picture but the brighter tones do still stand out enough to realize that there is a light source. The black and white image hides imperfections and I believe it makes her hair look more interesting and lighted. Overall I like this picture the best.

Black and White (Colour to lips & eyes)


This image was more for fun than anything. The bright green eyes and the red lips were added in an attempt to naturally draw your eyes to the points of the picture. They are not to evident and blends in enough to incorporate with the black and white very nicely. This is my least favourite from all the altered pictures.

Black and White (Threshold)


Finally, in my opinion the effect that turned out the best was the Threshold filter that I applied to the black and white image. It changes the lighting in the hair and brightens the face so much giving it an unreal type of look. The background and tree take on a new look that works great with the black and white. Gives the identity of the person a sense of mystery and creates a much more interesting picture than what I started with.

1 comment:

  1. Graham, nice work. You have written a nice clear reflection and I agree with everything you've said. Your choice of pose is nice in that its a 3/4 angle and tilted head. The lighting is good and cropping it tight behind her head works well.

    Yes the painted eyes and lips is a bit corny, but fun as you said. I agree that the Threshold worked well, but I would have liked to see you play with full colour.

    ReplyDelete