Friday, April 1, 2011

Poetry Assignment


The main theme of my picture was colour. After finding the colourful locker image I decided to create a fun instinctive view of school and stress the simplicity. The apple and lockers do have the same colour tone and I tried to use it to minimize on the blue colours that in a way did not blend in so much. But they do stand out and draw your attention in many different directions. I agree that words could have been placed better but I was very limited with the linear and horizontal patterns that had occurred in the picture. One thing I did really was the 2011, having it diagonal on the straight section of the lockers blending nicely. Having all these simple images incorporated into one simple picture represents different aspects of our school.


Out of this picture I chose to eliminate the background and keep the stack of books with an apple on top. They gave the opportunity to place words on the spines of the books. I believe this was a creative way to use the extra space. I original started the project with this as my background and planned on having other images pasted onto the chalk board. But when I found the locker image I decided to go with a very colourful outstanding image. Having the apple in my final image gave it a very fun sort of simple instinctive view of high school. I tried to use simple symbols that are associated with high school so that the image would demonstrate clarity of being a book associated with school.


I wanted to have something included that represented our faith here at Our Lady of Lourdes. On the apple there was a darkened circle that already stood out and once I faded this I was able to drop the cross behind the apple and sudely incorporate some kind of Catholic symbol into the image. The meaning I wanted to get across regarding this cross was our faith here at Lourdes, for example school masses. This is a key component that I believed should be represented.


As stated the multi colours were suppose to represent our ethnic diversity here at Lourdes. The white stickers I found irrelevant so I removed them. I didn't want a lot of lockers in the picture; I wanted them bigger to stand out more. So, once enlarged and in place I removed the unpleasant floor and roof. Having colourful lockers instead of normal depressing ones lightened the mood of the picture. Our school is so multi cultural that it would be unjust to not show this in some way.


The final image I incorporated into this scene was a sky to replace the sky. I wanted something that was not immediate to a school setting. Now that you have stated "freedom" that is what I believe I was subconsciously aiming for, the gateway to the "real world" in a sense. Whether it was the freedom of your night at 2:50 or the freedom of graduating. It is only a small portion of the picture but it defiantly has a lot to do with what is after high school.

 

2 comments:

  1. Graham, it is Sunday night and I am marking work whether the posting is complete or not. You've done a nice job on this image. It is an attractive colour palette and has a clear association to high school.

    It is disappointing that you haven't done the reflection. We are using a blog so you have the power to do it from home. Not only has this resulted in a loss of marks for this task, it also places you at a disadvantage for the next task because I can't give you feedback. You were to comment on the concept and its suitability to the audience and contents. I was hoping for something like this...

    My cover design features several iconic images that represent secondary school education. I have taken a bank of lockers, which symbolize the difference between elementary and secondary school, and I have transformed them by making them into a spectrum of colour. This is a metaphor for creativity shining through despite the structured environment of high school. The stack of books and apple repeat this theme of academic achievement, while the apple picks up on the colour them set by the lockers. A bit of fantasy is added to the design in that the ceiling has been removed and a blue sky shows above the lockers. this suggests that poetry, and creativity in general is a path to freedom. It can break through walls, whether they are real or self-imposed.

    See what I'm after? It's time to step up your game buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed enough to revise your rubric if you bring it to me on Thursday. Remember when you write the Election blog, don't worry about technique, just explain concepts. I really like being able to see the original image, as it clarifies how well you merged them.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete